Several indigenous authors—Easterine Kire, Jacinta Kerketta, Dolly Kikon, Hansda Sowvendra Shekhar, Temsüla Ao, Joy Pachuau, Senganglu Thaimei, Gladson Dungdung, Veio Pou, Kham Khan Suan Hausing, Ngamjahao Kipgen, Hoineilhing Sitlhou and many more—are writing stories foregrounding their perspectives, concepts, and theories about tribes. This is a step towards undoing tribes’ invisibility in literature. Yet, discrimination against tribes continues.
Source: “Uncivilising the Mind: How anthropology shaped the discourse on tribes in India” by Richard Kamei (doctoral candidate at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences in Mumbai) in (Caravan Magazine, 1 March 2020)
Date visited: 27 May 2021
Find publications on tribal (Adivasi) communities – in combination with a region, environment or state to which it may be connected – or a particular art form, craft, language, knowledge system or issue associated with it (wildlife, biodiversity, ethnobotany):
Search categories (examples)
- Adivasi customs
- Adivasi ethnobotany
- Endangered languages in India
- Indian publications illustrated by tribal artists
- India particularly vulnerable tribal group
- India Scheduled tribe custom
- India tribal cultural heritage
- India tribal dance and music
- India tribal nutrition biodiversity
What is WorldCat?
WorldCat is the world’s largest network of library content and services. WorldCat libraries are dedicated to providing access to their resources on the Web, where most people start their search for information.
What am I searching?
WorldCat.org lets you search the collections of libraries in your community and thousands more around the world. WorldCat grows every day thanks to the efforts of librarians and other information professionals. | Learn more >>
Custom search engines found on this website
- Indian Govt., research inst. & NGOs (Freedom United, Survival Int., United Nations)
- Indigenous knowledge: biodiversity, ecology, health, nutrition and wildlife
- Indian magazines and web portals – news coverage and analysis
- Indian press coverage of tribal culture – Online editions of daily newspapers in English
- Find educational and children’s books on tribal culture – Indian publishers
- Find scholarly books, poetry and fiction relating to tribal culture – Indian publishers