“My (mobile) browser fails to display embedded media content” | Tips >>
8 Baihar Hana Sare (Over the Green Field)
This is the song we have composed for our Non-formal Santal school, the Rolf Schoembs Vidyashram. The students and teachers of the school sing it regularly. It describes how the school campus that is surrounded by trees was created on a green field and at the bank of a small river; how the children go to the school in the morning walking and running all the way; how they learn the lessons through dance and music. The song also tells how the men and women of the surrounding villages came together to build the school; and how everybody is now happy with their school.
Beyond the green field
at the bank of the small river,
Bounded with trees
It is there our RSV ashram.
From the morning by walking and running
For the reading and writing,
Sounded with dance and music
It is our RSV ashram.
Clearing the bush and jungle
Leveling the scattered heap of soil,
Drying the soft clay
We built RSV ashram.
From the beginning there you are ,
Let us speak same words together now.
There looks hazy in the distance afar
Bidhya Bandlo Banspukur Sar kayet Chandypur
At the backyard again
There comes the sounds
O te orah, Bo te bol
Let us enter to the RSV
- RSV School & Museum of Santal Culture >>
- Print-friendly version (PDF 200 KB) for the above translations and Part 1 >>
Courtesy: Dr. Boro Baski © Ghosaldanga Bishnubati Adibasi Trust –
Dr. Boro Baski works for the community-based organisation Ghosaldanga Adibasi Seva Sangha in West Bengal. The NGO is supported by the German NGO Freundeskreis Ghosaldanga und Bishnubati. He was the first person from his village to go to college as well as the first to earn a PhD (in social work) at Viswa-Bharati. This university was founded by Rabindranath Tagore to foster integrated rural development with respect for cultural diversity. The cooperation he inspired helps local communities to improve agriculture, economical and environmental conditions locally, besides facilitating education and health care based on modern science.
He authored Santali translations of two major works by Rabindranath Tagore, the essay “Vidyasagar-Charit” and the drama Raktakarabi (English “Red Oleanders”), jointly published by the Asiatic Society & Sahitya Akademi (India’s National Academy of Letters) in 2020.
Other posts contributed by Dr. Boro Baski >>
Ghosaldanga Bishnubati Adibasi Trust
Registration under Trust Registration Act 1982
P.O. Sattore, Dist. Birbhum
West Bengal-731 236
For inquiries on Santal cultural and educational programs, please contact:
Mob. 094323 57160 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All contents are being published with an understanding that the respective copyright owners have agreed to the license terms explained in the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License. This means that no commercial use or modification of such content is permissible without written consent by their respective copyright holders.
- Audio | Santali Traditional and Fusion Songs: Ghosaldanga Bishnubati Adibasi Trust – West Bengal
- Banam (Santal string instrument)
– Slideshow & eBook: Banam Making Workshop at Bishnubati | Daricha Foundation
– Video: Banam Raja | Interview with Nunulal Marndi | Reviving the Huka Banam
- eBook | Free catalogue: Banam: One of the ancient musical instruments of the Santals
- eBook | Free catalogue: Museum of Santal Culture (Bishnubati) – West Bengal
- eBook | “Santals Celebrate the Seasons”: Creativity fostered by Ashadullapur Gramin Silpa & Sastha Bidhan Kendra – West Bengal
- India’s tribal, folk and devotional music: Secular and ceremonial songs
- eJournal | Writing and teaching Santali in different alphabets: A success story calling for a stronger sense of self-confidence
- Infusing the Santhali Element in Schooling by Rina Mukherji
- Museum collections – India
- Museum of Santal Culture Bishnubati
- Music album and video by Santal village children and youths (DVD, CD): “Children see world around them differently” – West Bengal & Odisha
- Music and dance | Adivasi music and the public stage by Jayasri Banerjee
- Puppetry | Santali Chadar Badni / Chadar Bad(o)ni”| Daricha Foundation
– eBook: Cadence-and-counterpoint-documenting-santal-musical-traditions
– Video: Damon Murmu | Sahadev Kisku | Shibdhan Murmu
- Santal | Santal creation myth | Santal Parganas | The Santals by Boro Baski
- Santal cultural traditions documented on the Daricha Foundation website
- Santal flute music: Audio resource by Adivaani.org – West Bengal & Jharkhand
- Santali language | eBook | A Santali-English dictionary – Archive.org
- Santal mission | Santali songs recorded in 1931 at Kairabani (Jharkhand)
- Santal music | Santal Musical Traditions: National Museum (exhibition catalogue)
- Video | Santali video album “Ale Ato” (Our Village)
- Video & eLearning | “Cadence and Counterpoint: Documenting Santal Musical Traditions” – A virtual exhibition on Google Cultural Institute