The University | To read the full post, click here >>
The Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, Amarkantak has been established by an Act of the Parliament of India. It came into existence by the Indira Gandhi National Tribal University Act, 2007 and came into action on July 2008. The jurisdiction of the University extends to the whole country and it is fully funded by the Central Government through the University Grant Commission. The university caters to the tribals’ long cherished dream of higher education.
Aims and Objectives –
The tribal people are rich in cultural heritage and skill of art and craft but they are still marginalized in respect to higher education as well as in other walks of life. Now in the present age of globalization the world has shrunk into a village as the society has advanced in technology. But the tribes, who are the custodians of Indian culture in real sense, are far behind in this race of advancement. In order to rescue them from the present plight, the university has put before itself the following aims and objectives-
- To provide avenues of education, especially higher education and research facilities primarily for the tribal population of India.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in tribal art, tradition, culture, language, medicinal systems, customs, forest based economic activities, flora, fauna and advancement in technologies relating to the natural resources of the tribal areas.
- To collaborate with national and international universities and organizations, especially for undertaking cultural studies and research on tribal communities.
- To formulate tribal centric development models, publish reports and monographs and to organize conferences and seminars on issues relating to tribes and to provide inputs to policy matters in different spheres.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting the members of tribal communities capable of managing, administering and looking after their own needs by access to higher education through a university of their own.
- To disseminate and advance knowledge by providing instructional and research facilities in such other branches of learning as it may deem fit.
- To take appropriate measures for promoting innovations in teaching learning process in inter-disciplinary studies and researches and to pay special attention to the improvement of social, educational and economic conditions and welfare of the scheduled tribes within the Union of India.
In view of the aims and objectives of the university the major thrust will be on providing more opportunity for the tribes. However, the university is open to all
Source: The University : Indira Gandhi National Tribal University, Amarkatnak
Date Visited: Fri Dec 09 2016 14:40:41 GMT+0100 (CET)
[Bold typeface added above for emphasis]
- For recent information, type the name of any of the tribal communities or regions into the search window here: Google custom search – Indian press coverage of tribal culture and education >>
- Learn more about Government institutions and NGOs: Govt. of India, NGOs and international organisations >>
- Use the WorldCat.org search field seen here for authors or titles dealing with “tribal education in India” and related issues: