The Hindu, Nagercoil, April 24, 2012
The Earth Day was celebrated by the tribal foundation at the Vellambi Kani tribal settlement in Keeripparai forest in the Western Ghats on Sunday.
Addressing the gathering, the environmental educator, S. S. Davidson, gave a clarion call to save the planet Earth.
He pointed out that the earth, the only planet supporting life, was facing environmental challenges following global warming, climate change, water scarcity, resource depletion, deforestation and allied issues.
To mark the day with green activity, tapioca, a favorite food of tribals, with chutney prepared using wild chilli was served in a herbal tree leaf.
Jacob Robert Singh, managing trustee of the foundation, wanted the tribals to be proud of their environmental heritage and act as the guardians of forest ecology.
Sankaran Kani, Kumar Kani and Nagammal Kani – the leaders of the community also spoke on the occasion.
Source: The Hindu : NATIONAL / TAMIL NADU : Earth Day celebrated
Address : http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-tamilnadu/article3347825.ece
Date Visited: Tue May 15 2012 21:33:33 GMT+0200 (CEST)
[Bold typeface added above for emphasis]
- Adivasi Academy & Museum of Adivasi Voice at Tejgadh | Lecture “A View of Higher Education in India”
- Appropriate education for Adivasi children – the Vidyodaya School model at Gudalur
- eBook | Background guide
- Childhood | Children’s books | Childrens rights: UNICEF India | Safe search
- Education and literacy | Right to education
- eJournals, eBooks & reports
- eJournal | Writing and teaching Santali in different alphabets: A success story calling for a stronger sense of self-confidence
- Endangered language
- Games and leisure time
- Misconceptions | “Casteism” and its effect on tribal communities
- Multi-lingual education | Residential school | Ekalavya
- Santali education | Teaching Santal children by Boro Baski
- Storytelling | Success story
- Tagore and rural culture
- Unesco | Unicef | Unicef India | United Nations
- United Nations International Days and Weeks
- Video | “Nations don’t make us human – languages make us human”: Ganesh Devy
- Women | Safe search | President Droupadi Murmu on women’s empowerment