Learn how a school managed by tribal communities is transforming the lives of rural communities. This video was made by 9th standard students after a video workshop held at the Adivasi school managed by the Viswa Bharati Vidyodaya Trust.
Photo and video recommendation: a voice from rural India worth being heard
Whether you plan a visit or seek to learn more about India’s rural life – perhaps inspired by the Gandhian social movement or Rabindranath Tagore – explore “a living journal, a breathing archive” in the Adivasi category of PARI: the People’s Archive of Rural India initiated by distinguished photo journalist-turned-activist P. Sainath, continually enriched by stories from all over India.
“In less than 200 years, photography has gone from an expensive, complex process to an ordinary part of everyday life. From selfies to satellites, most of the technology we use and spaces we inhabit rely on cameras. […] While photographic documentation can aid in shaping history, it can also be a window into the horrors of the past.” – Read more or listen to Butterfly Effect 9 – The Camera on CBC Radio Spark 26 May 2023 >>
Explore India’s tribal cultural heritage with the help of several interactive maps, specially created for visitors to this website:
- An alphabetical journey across India: from Andaman to West Bengal
- Northeastern India: the “Seven Sister States” & Sikkim
- Visit a museum in India: Indigenous art, anthropological & ethnographical collections
- A virtual journey across time and space: from Gondi-Harappan to present & future
- Locations for video documentaries & external media contents
- Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups & Endangered languages
- Places associated with press reports and blogs about India’s tribal cultural heritage
- A virtual journey across India: from Ladakh to Gujarat