Within minutes this virtual trip you’ll travel thousands of kilometres across India. And if you have more time to spare, linger anywhere – enjoy your journey!
For more details (some with hyperlinks), click on the map button seen on the left top; scroll and click on one of the markers for information of special interest.
Explore India’s tribal cultural heritage with the help of another interactive map >>
Over 1.2 billion people live in India today (official census figures 2011). Since 1971 the country’s total population has more than doubled from 550 million. How do India’s tribal communities cope with modernity and issues like climate change? Learn more by following this virtual journey, then read an article by Boro Baski.
To familiarize yourself with tribal culture in any part of India,
- click on any star on the interactive map for video contents and related posts
- zoom in and out on the map by clicking on the + / – control buttons
- display more options (click the menu button on the left top of the map)
- check or uncheck any “layer” as needed: “Tribal culture today”, “View nearby state capitals” and “Directions from Ladakh to Gujarat”
- explore other maps in the main menu (found under “Maps”)
For instance, to follow a 6000 km route that takes you from Ladakh (A) to Rajasthan (J) in a clockwise direction, open the map’s menu, then check “Take a tour – 6000 km”; click on the zoom button for a better view. Select “View nearby capitals”, then click on any marker for information on that capital city.