Within minutes this virtual trip you’ll travel thousands of kilometres across India. And if you have more time to spare, linger anywhere – enjoy your journey!
For instance, to follow a 6000 km route that takes you from Ladakh (A) to Rajasthan (J) in a clockwise direction, open the map’s menu, then check “Take a tour – 6000 km”; click on the zoom button for a better view. Select “View nearby capitals”, then click on any marker for information on that capital city.
For more details (some with hyperlinks), click on the map button seen on the left top; scroll and click on one of the markers for information of special interest.
Note: toggle to normal view (from reader view) should the interactive map not be displayed by your tablet, smartphone or pc browser.
Over 1.2 billion people live in India today (official census figures 2011). Since 1971 the country’s total population has more than doubled from 550 million. How do India’s tribal communities cope with modernity and issues like climate change? Learn more by following this virtual journey, then read an article by Boro Baski.
To familiarize yourself with tribal culture in any part of India,
- click on any star on the interactive map for video contents and related posts
- zoom in and out on the map by clicking on the + / – control buttons
- display more options (click the menu button on the left top of the map)
- check or uncheck any “layer” as needed: “Tribal culture today”, “View nearby state capitals” and “Directions from Ladakh to Gujarat”
Explore India’s tribal cultural heritage with the help of several interactive maps, specially created for visitors to this website:
- An alphabetical journey across India
- A virtual journey across India
- A virtual journey across time and space
- Locations for video documentaries and references to external media contents
- Places associated with press reports and blogs devoted to India’s tribal cultural heritage
- PVTG – Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups listed by the Government of India
- Seven Sister States of northeastern India
- Visit a museum collection in India