By mid-June we used to have the rainy season and the cultivation would be over by this time in our state. Our main crop rice cultivation is fully depended on rain water. This change of weather is happening since last few years now and still very few people realize that it is the effect of the climate change. We hope the government realizes the gravity of the situation and gives the issue a priority.
Our RSV school however has started campaigning for awareness building in the surrounding schools and villages through sowing seeds, organizing rallies on the importance of tree plantation and water preservation. Here are some images of the programmes.
Source: photos and news courtesy Dr. Boro Baski (by email 21 July 2019)
Boro Baski works for the community-based organisation Ghosaldanga Adibasi Seva Sangha in West Bengal. The NGO is supported by the German NGO Freundeskreis Ghosaldanga und Bishnubati. He was the first person from his village to go to college as well as the first to earn a PhD (in social work) at Viswa-Bharati. This university was founded by Rabindranath Tagore to foster integrated rural development with respect for cultural diversity. The cooperation he inspired helps local communities to improve agriculture, economical and environmental conditions locally, besides facilitating education and health care based on modern science.
Boro Baski authored Santali translations of Rabindranath Tagore’s Vidyasagar-Charit and Raktakarabi (Red Oleanders), published by the Asiatic Society & Sahitya Akademi in 2020. More posts contributed by Dr. Boro Baski >>
Ghosaldanga Bishnubati Adibasi Trust
Registration under Trust Registration Act 1982
P.O. Sattore, Dist. Birbhum
West Bengal-731 236
For inquiries on Santal cultural and educational programs, please contact:
Mob. 094323 57160 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- for a list of periodicals included per search, please check below or here >>
- to search Indian magazines, web portals and other sources safely, click here >>
Find recent press reports on India’s tribal cultural heritage on this page or click here for viewing the search window along with a list of the periodicals included in your search. To search Indian magazines, web portals and other sources safely, click here >>
- Ashoka Trust (Atree.org)
- Biodiversity Act | Biodiversity hotspot
- Ecology and environment
- Eco tourism | Tourism | Wildlife tourism
- Environmental history and what makes for a civilization – Romila Thapar
- Equations blog
- Forest Rights Act (FRA)
- Indigenous knowledge systems
- Information provided by Indian government agencies and other organizations (FAQ)
- Man animal conflict
- Nature and wildlife | Crocodile | Elephant | Tiger | Mangrove forest | Trees
- When your neighbour is a tiger: PARI’s tales from tiger territory
- Revival of traditions
- Sacred grove
- Shola Trust
- Success story
- Western Ghats – tribal heritage & ecology
- Wildlife tourism
- What is the Forest Rights Act about?
Who is a forest dweller under this law, and who gets rights?