Photos and information: courtesy Davidson Sargunam © 2015 Tribal Foundation (Nagercoil)
Tips: switch to “Reader” view for text reading; for extended viewing of any image, use one finger (tablet) or mouse-click (PC) | More tips >>
The Tribal Foundation (Nagercoil) is a registered organisation promoting the social, economic, cultural development of the forest-based Kaani tribal community.
Its cultural team promotes shows by Kaani tribal youths who formed a dance company consisting of up to 16 performers. Their programme has a duration of about 2 hours and features a variety of traditional dances, costumes and musical instruments typical of the Kanyakumari region.
These youngsters – both boys and girls – are college students keen on paying homage to their ancestors’ way of life: customs marked by an unbroken, genuine affinity with nature rather than exploitation. This message is expressed in the unique “tree bark dance” of the Kaanis: it highlights the delicately balanced eco-system of the the Kaani community’s homeland.
Thanks to their traditional knowledge and skill, the Kaani youths could identify a particular tree that enables them to express their cultural and natural heritage in an authentic manner.
Their performances are bound to appeal visitors from all over the world. They reflect the cultural diversity and natural beauty of the Kanyakumari region which has been celebrated by its inhabitants for centuries and admired by its visitors.
More posts contributed by Davidson Sargunam >>
For inquiries on environmental exposure programs, please contact
23, Cave Street, Duthie School Road
Nagercoil – 629 001
Reg. No: 1116/2009
- For more information, type “Kanyakumari folk culture”, “Nagercoil Kaani [or Kani] community” tribe western ghats” or similar search terms in the search window here: Google custom search – Indian press coverage of tribal culture and education >>
- Do the same here on this website: Google’s ad-free Safe search >>
- Learn more the Government institutions and NGOs: Govt. of India, NGOs and international organisations >>
- Community facilities
- S S Davidson
- Ecology and environment
- Eco tourism
- Performing arts
- Seasons and festivals
- Western Ghats – tribal heritage & ecology
Explore India’s tribal cultural heritage with the help of several interactive maps, specially created for visitors to this website:
- An alphabetical journey across India
- A virtual journey across India
- A virtual journey across time and space
- Locations for video documentaries and references to external media contents
- Places associated with press reports and blogs devoted to India’s tribal cultural heritage
- PVTG – Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups listed by the Government of India
- Seven Sister States of northeastern India
- Visit a museum collection in India